Three guys, one bag

Not healthy to eat
Not healthy to eat

Top planks glued to crossbeam webs

Liam, Cora, Elliot, Marcus, Oliver (0.25 hrs each), Thomas (3.5 hr), Kevin (3 hr), Scott (6 hr) | Photos

Cora and Liam and I started off by sanding the lashing pads and dolphin striker mount so they’ll be all ready for gluing to the hulls.  Oliver, Elliot, and Marcus stopped by and helped sand the pads, knock the nodes down on the bamboo poles, and belt sand the compression struts flush with the crossbeam web edges.

Thomas biked over with his 4″ belt sander and used 40 grit to very quickly smooth flush the top and bottoms of the 3 webs.  I made some progress with the 3″ and 50 grit, but it was a lot slower.  Rather than mark the center line and stitch and glue, we pooled our big clamps and easily bent the mahogany planks to the tops of the webs.  I had added a coat of epoxy to the top plank undersides (2nd coat) and the bottom plank’s second side (single coat on both sides now).  We positioned the webs and marked with indelible pen, then removed the web and used the ziploc-pastry bag method to lay down a bead of epoxy (80/20 micro-ballon/wood-flour fillet).

Two of three guys
Two of three guys

We did all three at once and would have been screwed if we didn’t have 6 hands to form the fillets from the epoxy that squeezed out upon clamping.  A few more clamps would have been helpful, but we got away with 3-6 per beam.  As it was, the epoxy gelled pretty quickly and we used a lot of alcohol to keep working it. Thank the Gods that we won’t have to sand all those fillets in the close confines between struts!

Overall, the beams are looking great.  They are starting to exude both beauty and strength.  The fillets are probably too small (Wharram called for 1 1/4″ radius ones), so I’ll add material in next 24 hrs…

Leave a Reply