Dual tiki teams spun into action tonight as the July 17 sea trial date approaches. Mike worked solo in Ballard, sanding the abundant fillets and multiplying inner surfaces of the central platform section. Over in Scott’s basement we built 75% of a crab claw main sail — after a fair amount of chatting and deliberating regarding plans, implementation schemes, and the relative merits of frugal-scrappy innovations (Thomas “galvanized” Nielson) vs autocad-engineered solutions (Kevin “the ubergazebo” Flick).
Eric, Kevin, and Zander caught up while testing out Annie’s two sewing machines while Thomas and Scott laid out the “small” crab claw sail for Tiki 21 specified by Wharram/Boon. We staked down the tarp, laid down the 15′ lashed bamboo spars, marked the offsets for luff (~16cm), foot (~16cm), and leech (~40cm) with dry erase marker, and then marked the sail edge curves with the natural bend of the spars and/or by hand-bending a long 1×2 batten. Following a combination of guidance from Thomas, Gary Deirking, and polysail.com we put 1.5″-wide carpet tape along the curved marks, added 1/4″ braided nylon rope (Do-It brand), folded edges over the rope, and then took it down to Eric. We tied the rope with a single fisherman’s knot and then reinforced the corners with 3″ Dacron tape. Eric then sewed the taped seam near the edge using #92 UV-resistant polypropylene thread in the Pfaff hobby 1122 and we all put in brass grommets at 20cm intervals along the foot and the luff.
Also, last Thursday Scott stopped by Matt’s garage in Ballard and put in 5 hours stitch’n’gluing the center platform compartment separators and side platform section 1×2 reinforcing. Matt provided a couple hours critical assistance, levering stitches closed with pliers and helping smooth out the massive colloidal silica fillets. Then there was a weekend a couple weeks back when Mike and Matt retrieved, cut, coated, and otherwise prepped the platform materials, clocking at least 12 person hours.