Sharpening the Harpoon 4.6

As a 2014 Mother’s Day gift, we simultaneously cleared space for Cathrine to garden in her side yard & refurbished Mike’s & Catherine’s Boston Whaler “Trainer” sailing dingy, a Harpoon 4.6 built back in the 1970s. Here are some pictures of the transformation from a mossy backyard boat to a Lake Washington summer surfer.

Ready for scrubbing after a trip through the Ballard Brown Bear car wash (one of Thomas’s tricks).

IMG_0177

Removal of the old Oregon registration stickers.

IMG_0178

We continued the red stripe across this area because in WA you don’t have to register your boat if it’s less than 20 feet long and has a engine less than 10 hp and won’t be used under motorized power in navigable waters (defined by the Coast Guard as pretty much everywhere).

IMG_0179

The centerboard lines were really grimy and slightly chafed but look usable after a good cleaning.

IMG_0180

Gel coat is in pretty good shape but does have some crazing the occasional crack.

IMG_0181The teak seats needed extra cleaning and then got a few coats of teak oil. If the planks continue to split at the ends near the screw holes we may need to bind them with some tarred twine lashings. IMG_0182

Mast/boom crutch mounts look perfect.

IMG_0183

There were a handful of punctures through the gelcoat and fiberglass.

IMG_0184

The base of the rub rail was pretty beaten up, but luckily Mike had already ordered a whole new rub rail kit so we (Annie, Catherine, Mike, Scott, Enso, Francesca, Liam, Cora, Steve, and Lola) installed it with the included pop rivets. A syringe loaded with 5200 helped fill the old pop rivet holes and a large flathead screwdriver was the right tool for pushing the rubrail into the base.

IMG_0185

There was one ~3 cm  diameter hole on the inboard port side of the cockpit.

IMG_0186

This area under the seat planks gives you an idea of what the boat looked like prior to its trip through the car wash!

 

IMG_0187

The half-cleaned boat snapped as Cora and I take a break from scrubbing. IMG_0188

The sanded teak benches before and after a couple coats of teak oil.

IMG_0190

The color of the unweathered gel coat beneath the seat plank which is known as “desert tan.” IMG_0192

The 3 cm diameter hole patched with a mixture of system three silvertip epoxy and West Systems fairing compound.

IMG_0193

We discovered rot in the plywood edges of the self bailer ports so remove the bailers and removed the rotten wood. The void was filled system three epoxy & microfibers, and then the bailers were screwed back into place.

IMG_0194

System three epoxy and fairing compound fills crazing around this round area of the cockpit floor.

IMG_0195

More crazy filling. IMG_0196

The underside of the bailer.

IMG_0197

Skim coating an old repair on the forward edge the transom.

IMG_0198

Liam and Mazey testing out the camping potential of the harpoon!

IMG_0202 IMG_0203

Checking out the sales in the front yard.

IMG_0204

With the boat up in the slings I was able to check the centerboard trunk and also position the skids on the new trailer.

IMG_0206

Close up of the teak bench plank ends fastened w/bronze screws.

IMG_0208

Thomas and I removed bailers and cleaned them up as well as rasping flush the bailer ports.

IMG_0209

Center board blocks.

IMG_0210

New pop rivets and rub rail going on…

IMG_0214

A minor asymmetry in the rub rail base was filled with butyl (cora calls it brutal!) rubber caulk.

IMG_0215

Cora and I used butyl tape to bed the shroud baseplates. IMG_0227We replaced the stainless steel bolts and locking nuts.  The old ones were a bit rusty, though they didn’t show any signs of fatigue (e.g. stress cracks) like Thomas found on his failed tiller/bar bolt…

IMG_0228

New ring pins on the rudder’s lower pintel and also the forestay pin.

IMG_0229

You can’t see it but there’s epoxy sealing interior areas and filling the old screw holes as well as new lubricant on the axle and sheaves of the centerboard blocks.

IMG_0230

New out haul line. The flush blocks on the boom and base of the mast may need to be replaced because they are mostly frozen. IMG_0231

Cora holding up the mast!

 

IMG_0221

Dancing with the main sheet.

IMG_0224

New jib sheets too!

IMG_0225

Sails need some battens, but the shape looks good and the slightly shortened repaired spreaders seem fine.

IMG_0226

On the trailer in the Sail Sandpoint storage yard, almost ready to get wet again!

IMG_0222

 

Leave a Reply